Cake’s ludicrously luxurious. Covering pastry in thick frosting and whimsical embellishments is always a recipe for success. To be honest, I’m personally more of a pie proponent. Still, I adore the plethora of ways you can decorate the dessert. Have a birthday, graduation, or other celebration coming up? Check out this list of recipes and decorations.
- Bon Appétit and Momofuku Milk Bar owner Christina Tosi make the most gorgeous birthday cake.
- Herb-infused dishes from A Subtle Revelry.
- Hungry Rabbit‘s All-American strawberry-banana milkshake cake.
- Milly’s Kitchen makes a divine almond crepe with raspberry rose cream.
- The Kate Tin‘s mixes flavours with the Neapolitan ice cream cake.
- Try a minimalist look with Just Destiny‘s naked cakes.
- Or dress up a grocery store dessert with Buzzfeed‘s top tips.
- Take inspiration from plant life! Get advice from the Kitchy Kitchen for decorating with flowers. Alternatively, recreate the Girls with Glasses‘ mini succulent sweets.
- For more whimsy, try topping off with toy animals. Guaranteed to be delightful, if Petit & Small‘s cake is anything to go by.
- For a dessert that pops, Lovely Indeed has the right idea: just cover your cakes with colourful candy.
And of course, the Minimalist has you covered for recipes as well:
- Lemon blackberry cake. That’s right, you too can have a gorgeous gateau like this post’s header image.
- Mix beets with your chocolate, for a dessert that’s both decadent and moist.
- Try something totally different, with cake-mix doughnuts. Want a twist on cake pops? Try making doughnut pops instead! Just plop your mini-doughnuts on some lollipop sticks.
Header image | Stephanie Trembath*
*Are you local to Vancouver or the Lower Mainland? Be sure to check out Stephanie’s yoga classes!